Friday, August 23, 2013

Saying "Good bye" verses Saying "See you Later"

When people die, pretty much 80% of people believe that they will get to see their loved ones again, in some sort of afterlife or another. When possible, they gather around the dying person to say their goodbyes and their final words with them. But why exactly do we do this?

Just recently, I had to say my parting words with a close loved one who had passed away. Pretty much my entire immediate family was there to say goodbye. While saying goodbye is good closure for everyone, I thought it best to only say "See you later".

Why? I'll explain:

I didn't say goodbye because it was too hard, but in my mind, saying 'goodbye' makes one think that you may not see them again. While saying "See you later" means just that. My grandmother passed on, but I know I'll see her again, I know I will. I'm sad to have seen her go, especially in the way that she went, but I'm not sad because I don't think I'll ever see her again, I'm sad because I'll have to wait a long time before I do.

Like my friend explained: "When someone dies, they don't really go away. They just go on vacation for a little bit. They go on ahead to make sure everyone will be happy there when the rest of us arrive. Some get the grill fired up, others start making the drinks."

No comments:

Post a Comment